Hollywood Schoolhouse was established in 1945 by Ruth Pease as a response to the county’s request for help meeting childcare needs of the post-war community. For more than 23 years, it served the area as a warm and loving preschool. By the 1960’s, the school expanded to meet the community’s growing needs.
In 1984, the Elementary Division was established expanding the campus to include the first elementary school building, with classrooms, a computer lab, and library. Two years later, a 35-foot swimming pool was installed, and in 1987 the new kindergarten building, as well as an art and science workshop were unveiled. In the 1990’s a new two-story building was added that included classroom space, a new library, multi-purpose room, and a fully equipped kitchen.
In 2002, the Hollywood Schoolhouse was granted nonprofit 501(c)(3) status and became an independent school. Today, Hollywood Schoolhouse serves the families of 300 children.
Hollywood Schoolhouse has always enjoyed a close relationship with its immediate neighborhood. Through its participation in Big Sunday, PALS, ongoing neighborhood clean-ups, and much more, the Schoolhouse has enjoyed its role in the recent renaissance of Hollywood.
Hollywood Schoolhouse is a proud member of the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), The Alliance for Minority Affairs, the Elementary School Heads Association, Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), Los Angeles Area Independent Schools and the Green School Alliance.